Show notes: Driver Fatigue
I’m joined today by fatigue expert Dr Paul Jackson of Fresh Air Training
Paul is a Chartered Psychologist specialising in human performance and has assisted safety-critical organisations to implement fatigue risk management systems for over 20 years in a career that has also included positions as
- Research Manager at the Department for Transport responsible for looking at impairment resulting from fatigue, drugs and alcohol
- Visiting Lecturer in driver fatigue at Cranfield University
- Head of Impairment Research at TRL
Paul was an expert witness in last year’s landmark legal case, in which the Office of Rail and Road successfully prosecuted an employer for health and safety breaches, as a result of two of its employees being killed in a road traffic collision where driver fatigue was identified as the primary cause.
This successful criminal prosecution demonstrated that having policies and procedures on fatigue management is not enough.
In this podcast, Paul and I discuss:
- The events leading up to the crash,
- What the company did wrong and why it was prosecuted,
- The key lessons for employers to take away from this case,
- And where to start when looking at fatigue management.
Driving for Better Business Article on the case.
Driving for Better Business ‘fitness to drive’ and driver fatigue resources
ORR press release on guilty verdict
ORR press release on sentencing